Second time: Breanna Jones named Bud & Wanda Smalley Scholar
Updated: Jun 17
Southwestern Oklahoma State University student Breanna Jones of Anadarko has been named the 2020-21 Bud & Wanda Smalley Scholar. It is Jones' second consecutive year to be named a Smalley Scholar.
Jones is studying business management in the Everett Dobson School of Business & Technology at SWOSU. She is director of the SWOSU Collegiate Activities Board (CAB).
Jones’ grandfather, Arnold Jones, graduated from SWOSU in 1982.
The Bud & Wanda Smalley Memorial Scholarship Fund was established by Judy (Smalley) Wilkes (SWOSU Class of 1976 and current SWOSU Foundation, Inc. trustee) and her husband, Mike Wilkes (SWOSU Class of 1975 and past president of the SWOSU Alumni Association) of Oklahoma City in memory of the late Bud and Wanda Smalley of Eakly.
Earl Weaver “Bud” Smalley, Jr. was born November 19, 1932, north of Eakly. His parents—Earl and Mary (Woodward) Smalley—were life-long residents and farmers in Caddo County.
Wanda Lou Seymour was born on October 5, 1932, in Alamosa (CO). Wanda grew up in Oklahoma City with parents William Randolph “Colonel” and Cora Adina Seymour. Cora was a resident of Eakly throughout the latter years of her life.
Bud & Wanda were married on January 17, 1953. The Smalleys raised a family of four daughters in Eakly where the family farmed wheat, peanuts and cotton and raised cattle. The Smalleys were also commercially involved in the Eakly Farmers Cooperative Gin, Eakly Propane Company, Southwestern State Bank, Bank of Hydro and Stanley-Lee Funeral Home. The Smalleys were devoted members of the Eakly United Methodist Church.
The fund provides scholarships to SWOSU students with a preference given to those students who graduated from schools in Caddo County, Oklahoma. The Smalleys were champions of higher education; all four of their daughters, all four of the Smalley sons-in-law, and seven of their 10 grandchildren are SWOSU alumni.
The Bud & Wanda Smalley Memorial Scholarship Fund is stewarded by the SWOSU Foundation, Inc., which was established in 1977 to promote philanthropy and distribute funds to support the activities and programs of SWOSU. Located on the Weatherford campus in the historic Burton House, the Foundation currently stewards over $26 million in assets for the benefit of SWOSU.
For more information, contact the SWOSU Foundation at 580-774-3267 or visit www.SWOSUFoundation.com.
By SWOSU Public Relations